InnerCity Struggle (ICS) is a social justice, community-building and membership-driven organization based in the Eastside of Los Angeles. ICS works with youth and families to promote safe, healthy and non-violent communities. We organize youth and families in Boyle Heights, unincorporated East Los Angeles, El Sereno and Lincoln Heights to work together to advance social and educational justice.
InnerCity Struggle is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.
UNITED STUDENTS SITE ORGANIZER
POSITION: United Students Site Organizer (Full Time Position)
ABOUT US: InnerCity Struggle (ICS) is a social justice, community-building and membership-driven organization based in the Eastside of Los Angeles. ICS works with youth and families to promote safe, healthy and non-violent communities. We organize youth and families in Boyle Heights, unincorporated East Los Angeles, City Terrace, El Sereno, and Lincoln Heights to work together to advance social and educational justice. Through the high school established campus-based clubs called United Students (US), we organize and engage high school youth and provide leadership development, cultural and political education, and academic services to empower young people to develop into agents of social change. The purpose of United Students is to build student power to organize toward educational justice and create campaigns to challenge the existing social and economic inequities in the current educational system.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The US Site Organizer would be responsible for effectively coordinating the United Students club at (2) Eastside high schools, which requires advanced organizing skills to facilitate school-change campaigns. We are looking for someone with previous experience facilitating and coordinating youth leadership training and a track record of effective base-building.
Key responsibilities include:
- Facilitate student-led campaigns specific to educational and racial justice at (2) high schools
- Develop and implement effective and efficient outreach strategies to engage youth at (2) school sites (i.e. Phone-Banking, conducting classroom presentations, coordinating lunch-time outreach, etc.)
- Develop youth friendly curriculum on political education topics and leadership development skills
- Responsible for the development and training of core youth members to recruit, engage, and sustain the involvement of an active base of youth members in campaigns at their school
- Develop and maintain relationships with school staff, faculty, and other key allies
- Develop relationships and maintain communication with parents/guardians of youth leaders
- Work with other US staff to coordinate cross-campus activities
- Work with other organizational staff to coordinate cross-campus or community activities
- Travel for InnerCity Struggle related activities that may include some weekends (retreats, conferences, trainings)
- Engage in civic engagement activities, including, but not limited to, canvassing in the Eastside of Los Angeles
- Participate in grassroots fundraising efforts
- Other duties as identified by the Youth Organizing Coordinator and Youth Organizing Director
ICS is seeking a person who meets the preferred qualifications:
- Strong Social Justice analysis
- Minimum 2 years’ experience providing youth development and leadership support for diverse youth populations
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in youth organizing or community organizing in low-income communities of color
- College Graduate who holds, at minimum, a Bachelor of Arts Degree – or related experience
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
- Ability to work weekends as needed or required by campaign activities
- Track record of accomplishing goals and objectives individually and in a team atmosphere
- Effective and concise writing and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with school and district leaders, and community allies
- Ability to work in a team setting and provide/receive constructive feedback
- CA driver’s license and access to a reliable automobile (liability insurance at minimum)
BENEFITS: Medical, dental, vision, and retirement plan benefit available as described in the Organization's benefit plan
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: Bilingual in Spanish is preferred
WAGES: $19.25 per hour
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: 4-year degree
HOW TO APPLY
Email resume and cover letter to Ana Godoy, Youth Organizing Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “United Students Site Organizer position-- first name & last name” in the subject line of your email. Cover letter must address why you are interested in the position and what strengths you would bring to the organization.
No phone calls or site visits please, accepting applications till Tuesday, August 13th, 2019.